Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How NOT to get out of girl's camp

So, awhile back I was called to be the girl's camp director for our ward and this year was just ward camp, not stake. After much thought, prayer, and a little debate I decided I wanted to take our girls to our ranch in Island Park. It is a beautiful place on the edge of a heavily treed forest, opening up into a huge meadow, with a spring-fed creek running right through the middle of it. Far enough away from civilization (and boys) (and cell-phone service :) ) but close enough to get supplies or services when needed. Ironically enough this was the scene of Joshua's accident almost 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure now the place is cursed, at least for my family.

We had been there a day and a half and had just finished certifying the girls in first aid. I had also made a big effort to make the girls gather all of the water jugs I had them bring- 2 gallons each. (14 girls) I was making dinner on the Campchef, so there was a huge pot of boiling water for dishes, and pot of chili, and a water tank on the third burner. Suddenly the leg on one corner of the stove SUNK INTO THE GROUND, thanks to all of this lovely rain we've been having. I jumped back, but the water tank fell behind me tripping me and I fell and the entire pot of boiling water poured on top of me. It was immediately apparent to me to GET MY PANTS OFF, despite the 2 other preisthood bretheren present. (Darin was also there, just off in the trees cutting firewood) I ripped them off asap but was delayed because I had double-knotted my shoes because they kept coming untied, all the while apologizing for stripping. I layed down on the ground and rather calmly, I have to say, started instructing girls to get that water and start dumping it on me. After 20 minutes of treatment and preparations for transportation, off we went to Madison Memorial Hospital.

I have 2nd (hopefully no 3rd, we still don't know for sure) degree burns on my right foot from about mid-calf down around clear to my toes, and a four inch patch on top of my left foot. I initially had massive doses of morphine that made me puke my guts out for 24 hours, so now I just mainly take Motrin, saving my Lortab for treatments, because THEY SUCK! I go in every day to get whirl-pooled, scraped and peeled of dead skin and rebandaged and every day I get to do it all over again.

This was day 7 of treatment and FINALLY there is some sign of improvement! This picture was 2 days ago (keep in mind 5 days into my torture) and there has been large improvements in swelling and new skin growth since! There's still a spot on the inside of my ankle that could possibly send me into surgery, so PLEASE PRAY FOR ME! I do NOT want to go there! I also hope to get copies of pictures of the first day of treatment when I had 5 blisters about the size of really large eggs on my foot. They were really impressive!



But, hey, at least my toenails were painted! And, yes, mom, my underwear was clean...

9 comments:

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

Oh Amy, if that isn't magnifying your calling, I don't know what is. I'm proud of you. I love you. We'll pray for you.

Gwen said...

OHHHHH! I want to cry just looking at it. I'm SOOOO Sorry!!! What a way to spend the rest of your summer.

It's good to see you still have your sense of humor though ;) And on the plus side...you and Darin might be able to write a book soon on "HOW NOT TO..." Really, it could be a money maker!

Please let me know if you need anything!

Charlie said...

Oh Amy... here's a little tip from a Salt Lake City guy... when a call(ing) comes... let it go straight to voice mail. te he.
BTW... I'm really proud of you for the clean underwear and painted nails!

Julie said...

There are no words. Sorry for the suck fest that is your legs and feet. I will quit complaining about my infected toe.

shayne and kimberly said...

ohh my goooodness! I am so sorry. (but thanks for hte really awesome picture). If you need help let me know. We will keep you in our prayers.

Logan|Lexy said...

Ames, I'm so sorry. We heard what happened. Camping just hasn't been good to you guys lately. I hope that won't drive you away from our camping trip coming up! I'm really looking forward to seeing and laughing with you. If you need anything, let us know. We will fly up there any day!

Love you!

Katie!! said...

ohhhh how sad!! hope you get all better soon!!

Daniel, Kari and Co. said...

Well, your nails really do look nice! (Would it be inappropriate to add - especially in comparison to your raw and swollen flesh?)

UGGGHH! It really does make my stomach turn - I'm glad that there has been lots of improvement and I sure hope that you get full movement (foot - not bowel) soon! Keep us posted.

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

Would you like postings of bowel as well? :)